From: DuBois, PA
Currently: Denver, CO
Education: B.S. Finance – University of Delaware, M.B.A. Finance – New York University Stern School of Business
Professionally: Founder: National Parks Marathon Project – Goal of running a marathon in all 59 U.S. National Parks, Running Coach, Public Speaker
Purpose: To inspire people to make a change in their lives and encourage everyone to get out and move in our country’s natural spaces
Message: Start with the language of possibility – Speaking as if it is possible makes it so
Bill is the founder of the National Parks Marathon Project, his full-time effort to run a self-directed 26.2 miles in all 59 U.S. National Parks. Until June 2016 Bill was a management consultant leading large technology projects in New York City. Unfortunately, his passion for health, fitness and the outdoors were out of synch with his profession and location. He wanted to break from the corporate world and get back to nature.
When he read about the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service, as a marathon runner, Bill thought what better way to experience the parks than covering 26.2 miles in each one. He saw an opportunity to promote the National Parks, reconnect with the natural world through long trail runs and inspire people to get out and move in our country’s unspoiled wilderness. So, he quit his job and started #runningtheparks.
In 54 weeks Bill completed 48 marathons in the 47 National Parks in the continental U.S. plus Virgin Islands National Park. He is currently planning the two parks in Hawaii and the National Park of American Samoa for October 2017. The eight National Parks in Alaska will be in summer of 2018. While staying within Park guidelines one of Bill’s goals is to have someone from the local running community join him for every run. Come join!
- Completed 48 marathons in 54 weeks in our country’s National Parks
- First place – 2016 Ultra Race of Champions 25k Trail Race
- Two time Boston Marathon qualifier
- Top five age group and top 15% overall in the 2014 North Face Endurance Challenge Bear Mountain 50K
- Top five overall (36.24 miles) at 2012 Broadway Ultra Society 6-Hour Pajama Romp ultramarathon
- 2012 Boston Marathon finisher
- Top 10% overall in the 2012 New York City Half Marathon
- Two times 50 mile Cayuga Trails ultramarathon finisher
Certifications, Training and Licenses:
- Certified Level II Running Coach – Lydiard Foundation
- Certified Running Coach – Road Runners Club of America
Bio Photo Credit: Nick Danielson